Monday, January 5, 2009

Groves

Groves are new to me. People living in the country here all have one to block the north and/or west wind. This is a fairly new one to the north of a house and is about 5 rows of trees. People usually plant a mix of evergreens, leafy trees, and bushes/shrubs for best blocking of the wind and snow. Ours is very old and scraggly so Bill is thinking about whether we will add to ours or start over.


This is the north side of Peggy's grove. She had a row (closest to the house) of 22 pine trees with canker disease so one of Bill's winter projects was getting them cut down.










Tim is up in the loader putting a line around the tree. That's Dave on the ground. Some they could just make a cut and push them down with the loader. Then they just hooked on to them and pulled the whole tree to the burn pile.







This shows the stumps down the line. They hope the next row of trees will now fill out better.





This is the pile of the first 14 trees. It's gonna be a big fire when they light all 22! Hope to get a picture of that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cindy, I LOVE your blog! I finally finished my quilt (first project) and have redecorated my dining room around it. I will try to send you some photos of my dining room and the quilt via e-mail. I miss you. I was a real "becky-homecky" this year and did some canning. I gave homemade gifts to all for Christmas, which made it very special. Lots of my friends gave me the same. I've got some possible ideas for the farmers' market that I want to run by you. Are you coming home in March? Let's spend some time chatting then. Cindy

Anonymous said...

As much as I hate to see those trees get cut down, I will admit it does look better.

-Jim

Anonymous said...

I DID NOT need to see MY almost 65 year old father UP in a bucket!!! LOL!!! Now I see the craziness that he is up to.:) Just hope he careful......