Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Preparations for P.E.O. Meeting

I had fun planning and getting ready for our P.E.O. meeting here last night. At my Stampin' Up! downline meeting in Indiana, one of the demonstrators mentioned making cake balls. Cake balls? Hadn't heard of them. When she told me what they were, I thought they'd be a perfect addition to the plate for P.E.O.!

You start by making a box cake mix and bake in a 9 x 13. I thought R
ed Velvet would be pretty and good. Then when cool, just crumble the cake into a mixing bowl. Add about 3/4 of a can of icing. (will probably need to mix with your clean hands) Form into small balls. Freeze on parchment or waxed paper. Dip in white chocolate or almond bark. Then decorate. I used some pastel sprinkles.



I love the Hallmark paper muffin cups I found when in Indiana. (picture below) They're eggs. They had a couple of other really pretty designs too. I made one of mom's favorite desserts in them, Cherry Delight.




There were 8
of us at the meeting and ended up all squeezing around the table.

Bill and I are not coffee drinkers but think the pot of coffee was drinkable and the tea tasted good. I used PG Tips tea.

P.E.O. is a group that works to help women. There are scholarship programs that we apply for for area women. There is also a program called Iowa Projects. We can apply for money from P.E.O. to help area women with other needs. Since I've been a member, a house has been painted, furnishings given to another woman, a surprise 50th birthday was given for her, flowers planted for her, special glasses paid for for another, a washer & dryer moved up to the main level and a porch arranged for and paid for. There has been lots of help with medical bills. I'm having a hard time explaining all that this group does but P.E.O. does make a difference in women's lives.

Right now, we are waiting to hear if a Pocahontas senior will receive the $2,500 STAR Scholarship we helped her apply for. We should know soon.

At most meetings, a member gives a program and it can be about anything. A recent one was was about quilts with members all bringing their favorite quilt. We had a Christmas trivia one. Last year I demonstrated how to easily make your own greeting cards with rubber stamps. (our group sends lots of cards!) This year, I'll give my program in June and plan to do it on crocheted doilies since I have and use several that Grandma Randall made and watched her make many over the years.

Besides helping others, our P.E.O. group is a close group of women who also support each other.






4 comments:

mom said...

Everything looks really good. Wish I could have tasted all of it.

I just found out if you click twice on the pictures they get even bigger.

Glenn Markley said...

Cindy: Save me one of the cake balls. Thanks for explaining about P.E.O., have known about it for years but never heard what it is about. Glenn

Anonymous said...

Your table was so beautiful last night Cindy, and tasty and fun. Thank you!

kelly said...

Those cake balls sound yummy, and you can use any cake mix and frosting? How about a recipe for the cherry delight:) The guys are getting in the field and I need good recipes for lunches!