Friday, May 20, 2011

The Orioles

I haven't seen many exciting things to take pictures of lately - except my new feathered friends, the Orioles. I've definitely been enjoying watching them. They look like pudgy robins except orange! This feeder that holds two orange halves is right outside our great room window. I have several other feeders to get out. Now that we got 1" of rain last night, it'll be easier to get the poles in the ground.

Bill got done planting all of the beans this week and replanting in areas where they had tile work done. Tim finished rolling the beans. All just in time for the rain, which was needed.


I got most of the windows washed and screens put in. Now bring on the nice weather! It's been a cold spring. The leaves on many of our trees are still not all the way open. Lilacs are just blooming. It's a windy day today as it is a lot in the spring here.

Bill and Tim are now working on fixing things that broke during planting. Peggy's pickup is in the shop today, Bill's working on his, they have a couple of intakes to fix thanks to me. I need to get the Buick in for a bad squeak in the driver's seat. Bill needs to get to Algona for a hair cut. I need to go to the cell phone store.

The Goodwill truck is in the area again so I'm cleaning out more old, unused things. I even found a home yesterday for some of Bill's worn out jeans! Diane's babysitter makes blankets with them! I like it when somebody can get some good out of things like that!

Rhubarb is ready. I picked some this week that I need to make a pie with today. Unfortunately, Bill doesn't like anything with rhubarb in it. I'll share with Diane - she loves it. Grandma & Grandpa R. always had good stuff in their yard - lots of tulips and daffodils, apple trees to climb and the applesauce she made with those transparent apples was so good, Lilies of the Valley, grapes and black raspberries that Grandma made jelly with, rhubarb and gooseberries for pies, hollyhocks and all the other things they planted in the vegetable garden. Now that we're situated in the new house, I'm working on getting some of these things going in our yard.

6 comments:

kelly said...

I just don't understand how Bill cannot like rhubarb!!!! We used to eat it at grandma's ,raw dipped in sugar:)

Anonymous said...

Uhmmmmm, YOU use to eat it like that..... I went for the cookies!!! :-)

Bill

Marie said...

I have only seen Orioles in Indiana once. We have been enjoying our backyard birds and have Indigo Buntings again this year.

Jan said...

But then your Grandma could grow ANYTHING! And we enjoyed the things she grew!

Michelle Young said...

yummmm, i love rhubarb pie! I wish Mom could grow it in TN...it just doesn't grow there.

Cindy said...

I'll have to look up Indigo Buntings Marie. I think I only saw an Oriole in Indiana once too. Wish I could share some rhubarb pie with ya Michelle - and Mom.