Thursday, July 16, 2009

Interesting Night

Bill had pulled all the wooden shelves that were in the basement into the one corner with the backhoe. Yesterday the wind was right to set that on fire. Last night when we went to bed we thought both fires seemed out. Wrong. It was cool enough last evening to have windows open, and at 12:15 am our smoke detectors went off and of course we knew nothing about how to shut them off yet! So I found the booklet while Bill was up on a chair! Then a skunk and something else had a little fight outside our bedroom window, and there was lots of noise going on with a train at that time too. Sometimes they stop at the crossing near our house and do various things with it. Tonight should be quieter?

Today was the Farmers Market. The melon & peaches guy saw me and said "Indiana melons!" I said REALLY??? He said "no just having fun with ya". He remembered I had told him last year about the Vincennes, Indiana area well known best cantelope and that my aunt & uncle used to grow them. He gave out samples of his melons today. The watermelon was pretty good so I bought one (cantelope not ripe enough yet) along with the usual Beth's whole wheat bread, a couple of tomatoes and 1/2 doz. ears of sweet corn. We had an ear of corn tonight but won't be eating the rest of them. :(

I mowed at the Zeman place (where the machine shed is). The grass was long so seemed to take forever. Bill serviced one of the semis and found some things that need to be fixed on it.

3 comments:

SentimentsbyDenise said...

I love going to the Farmer's Market in Greenwood - they aren't very big, but have lots of variety. I bought a Vincennes melon (cantaloupe) a couple weeks ago there and it was so good!

Anonymous said...

Always interesting reading in the morning when I check your blog. You are doing a great job with it! Wish I had time and an interesting life to have a blog. LOL. Kathy M. from Avon. I'm in as anonymous.

Anonymous said...

I'm really getting a chuckle out of the smoke detector story. Did the one in your living/dinning room go off and if so, how did you reach it?

Karen