Friday, May 13, 2011

Spring Things

When I recently went to the Garden Extravaganza in Pocahontas, I bought this simple Oriole feeder. You just stick two orange halves on the spikes on it. The same day I put it out this week, a male Oriole showed up! Wow, what an impressively bright bird! We don't have many Cardinals around here (the Indiana state bird), and I'm kind of sad about that but hope to put out the black sunflower seeds and attract some. But if not, I'll be happy with Orioles, goldfinches and hummingbirds. Click HERE to see photos of Baltimore Orioles.

I can't wait to get all of my feeders up now that our landscaping is done. The three hostas I transplanted from Diane's have opened up and are looking nice back by the patio.

These tulips are new this year and are in the front. I need to get some mu
lch down in this area.




Bill and I were in the same field (140 acres) last evening - I was working the last half and he was planting the first half - until it started raining. I took this picture of the wall cloud when I got home. We ended up only getting 3/10" - could use a little more to get all the crops that have been planted growing. We just have one more small field to go after it dries out. Bill & Tim are having some guys put in some tile for drainage in that field so have to wait until they're done.

I LOVE the new quad trac tractor. Even though it's huge, it's so easy to operate and smooth to ride in. Sad that my job for this Spring is over already. I wish field work was more of an all year thing!

Carl did get his cherry pie for lunch the day after he helped me with the intake problem!

This past few days I was on the road a lot. One day I was at the seed dealer's with the seed tender about four times. The video below is of Joe loading a box of seed onto the
seed tender. The guys used to have to lift, open and dump many, many 50-60 pound bags of seed into the planter until they started using these big boxes.




No comments: