Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Stir Fry Practice

We got some wet snow last night. We were supposed to get 4-7" but don't know what it ended up being. Several schools have a 2 hour delay this morning. Happy snowy birthday Uncle Tim!

Many years ago, my longtime Indiana friend, Marie, gave me a really nice wok. Back then when single, I didn't cook much for just me so it stayed in its box for a long time (used it a few times). But I love stir fry so have recently gotten it out and have been practicing. Have made it three times this winter so far.

The first one was a recipe using pork for the meat and sugar free apricot preserves in the sauce. It was ok but won't make again. Didn't like the bitter preserves or pork.

Last time I used a bo
ttled stir fry sauce with precooked shrimp (shrimp - my favorite like when eating at Mongolian BBQ). The sauce was pretty good but the shrimp got rubbery.

This time I used a recipe for the sauce and it had directions for when to stir fry what. I bought frozen raw shrimp and made sure to cook them "just until done", then took them out while cooking the vegetables. It was much better starting with the raw shrimp! Still need some practice though and will tweak the sauce recipe. The vegetables were a little crunchier than I'd li
ke.

I got some tips from my brother for next time. He makes Cashew Chicken qu
ite a bit.

The last picture was everything before I added the sauce or the shrimp back in. Totally forgot to take a picture of it on the plates. So anxious to try it I guess! Thanks Marie - the wok is really, really nice!


1 comment:

Marie said...

That looks yummy!!!