Friday, October 9, 2009

Intake Snapped in Two!

Picture of Mr. Pumpkin - first year to use him in Iowa. Didn't have a plug in to use for him at the old house!

Today was the first day of the new lunch schedule. Our helpers during Harvest, Pam & Carl are now eating together at our house on Thurs., Fri., Sat. and at Tim & Bette Jo's on Mon. Tues., Wed. So today was lunch at our house vs. one of them at each house every day. Should work good.

Today was also the first day for me to chop (corn) stalks this season. I had Bill give me a quick lesson again, but I was hoping it would be like riding a bike! It was, kind of. I hope I get better at it! Last year, my first year, he always told me where intakes were. Today, they are concerned about possible snow tomorrow and trying to figure out which hail damaged field to do next and were getting ready to move from our corn to a bean field when I got started so . . . he didn't think about intakes. I should've known though but was thinking "you go through the grass/waterways". So when I came to tall grass, I thought it was just taller than usual and it was just a little patch! (didn't see the bright orange intake in the middle of it!) Pop! It hit the cab/broke in half! Not good! The only other incident was hitting a big hole - with a front tire. Also not good! Luckily the stalk cutter seemed okay - it was cutting the stalks - so I got finished at sunset (another pretty one). Hope my 2nd day is better!

Then took a sandwich to Bill where he was combining beans. Tim was still there too driving the grain cart. I ended up staying until they quit about 10:00 - to help with moving equipment. They had to park the semis on the road today - dump from the combine into the grain cart and unload into the semis on the road. The semis are too heavy when the fields are muddy/soft. (gravel road so not much traffic)

No comments: