Saturday, November 22, 2008

Grandma's Pumpkin Pie

Glenn & I stayed with Grandma & Grandpa a lot for 17 years while Mom & Dad were working at the Dairy Queen they owned. So we learned a lot about a lot of things at Grandma & Grandpa's house and one of them was baking and especially pies. I always say that Grandma was really patient with me. She had to work with me on how to crimp the edges of the pie crust for a long time. I would want to give up and have her do it but she would say "keep trying - you can do it". This is her pumpkin pie recipe which she would continually tweak- adding or taking out a little spice here and there or adding a little more milk to make more filling. Every time she made one she would say she had changed it a little from the last time she gave me the recipe. I think this version is pretty good!

PUMPKIN PIE

1 unbaked pie crust
2 eggs
2/3 c. white sugar
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. sorghum
1 c. pumpkin
1 T. flour
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cloves
1/2 t. ginger
1/2 t. salt
1 1/4 c. milk

Mix all together and pour into crust. Bake at 450 for 15 min., 350 for 45 min., and 300 for 30 min.

No comments: