Saturday, November 1, 2008

Harvest's End

Bill says that we have 90 more acres left (this is out of about 2500) so the end is in sight! For those of you who aren't farmers, we started combining soybeans in Sept. Once they were done, combining corn, which takes longer, started. I wish I would've had this blog up and running at the beginning of Harvest so that those interested could read along as it happened - and I could've told you about my very first experiences learning to drive a tractor to do my first job in the fields - stalk cutting! It's been a little different than using a riding lawn mower!

My brother, Glenn, was my patient teacher which was a good thing. He had me practice using the clutch many times until I could start smoothly (which didn't take too long) and practice turns. Bill would've told me how to do it, stayed with me for a couple rounds and then said "see ya, be careful and have fun!"

But I still have very little experience, so will be writing about it for a few more days since "things" happen every day. Tonight was the first time that I have done stalk cutting in the dark! Yikes. Not good. One time I had stopped to stay out of Bill's way - he was in the combine. I had just put in the clutch to stop but then tried to find the dimmer switch on the floor for the lights so I wouldn't blind Bill - with the same foot! So when I took my foot off the clutch to dim the lights, uh I kind of popped a wheelie! (in B2) Not good.

Last night evening - before dark - I had to move from one field to another - on the road! - for the first time. Thank goodness I only met one car!

I will be adding pictures of things as we do them once I figure out how to do that! After Harvest is done, I'll be posting some stamping, some recipes and tell you how our new house is coming along with pictures of it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cindy--
Did you ever in your wildest dreams think you'd be driving a tractor harvesting corn? Sounds like you're having a blast! I'm glad you took the plunge & started blogging too! I will definitely be checking in daily.
Debbie D.

SentimentsbyDenise said...

I want to see a picture of you driving the tractor!
Now, that's real bloggin!

kathy said...

Ditto on posting pictures of you driving the tractor. How cool is that?!?!?!

kathy

Anonymous said...

We can hardly wait for pictures of you driving a tractor! Sounds like you're really becoming a farmer:) Next thing is planting a huge garden and canning and freezing the results! We're impressed with your blog(we didn't even know what a blog was). Looking forward to reading more.
Love,
Uncle Dale & Aunt Dana