Monday, November 3, 2008

Corn is Done


This was written last night. We finished combining corn and stalk cutting! I didn't have any "incidents" to report today! Carl is still out there ripping the last field tonight. Bill & Tim took the corn head off the combine and put the bean head on to do one last very small, low field near the river. It was planted late due to being too wet. Bill went around about once and a hydraulic oil pump broke. The combine had to be left in the field tonight. John Deere will come out to repair it tomorrow. I didn't mention the temporary fix for the air conditioning problem on "my tractor" the other night - they took off this broken round piece and stuffed a wrag and corn cob in the hole to keep out the dirt until they fix it!

My start time this morning was going to be early because the wind was blowing which would mean conditions should be dry enough, but Bill called and moved that back to 10:00 due to the stalks being too wet still from the dew. He called again and said "after lunch now". We had planned that we would all eat lunch in town if we were all out in the fields but since I ended up being home all morning, I got busy and made chicken & noodles, mashed potatoes, harvard beets & fruit for lunch. Bill's mom used to make lunch for Bill's dad, Bill and Pam. Now that things have changed and I'm here, Peggy has retired from cooking and I do it for us and Pam. Carl eats at Tim & Bette Jo's house. They usually come home for meals and normally at noon. That way we know when to have food ready, they can wash their hands, etc. and everybody gets done and back out for work at about the same time. It works pretty good.

I saw lots of pheasants today. Their cover in the corn is quickly shrinking. Later this month I'll be posting a picture or two of pheasant hunting which is very popular here. Hunters come from all over the US. Bill has a Brittany hunting dog named Sam.

No comments: