Friday, April 23, 2010

More Signs of Spring

Some asparagus is up and ready to eat! This first picture is Peggy's patch. She was nice enough to share some with us! I'm closely watching our wild patch in the ditch but it's been coming up very slowly. I think it's great fun to check it and pick some every day once it gets going! Kind of like mushroom hunting except you know about where it's going to be!

I'm surprised that most of the stalks are always thick but they're as tender as the thin ones. Bill likes it creamed the best but I like to just put a little olive oil & steak & roast rub on it and microwave. Diane says she likes it a little crispy so she grills or bakes hers.




On Wed. I cut grass for the first time this season at the Zeman place (where the big machine shed is). This old patch of rhubarb is there. I was happy to see that some of it was big enough to pick. Bill doesn't like anything with rhubarb in it. I can't believe he likes asparagus but not rhubarb!



We've had really nice planting weather for the past few days although they would've liked some wind for drying. We were expecting potentially 2" of rain today but it held off this morning until Bill could get done planting corn so he's very happy. Even though he almost got stuck in the process.

Now they can use this down time to change over and get ready to plant the beans once it quits raining and dries out. It's very windy today.

1 comment:

SentimentsbyDenise said...

Two of my favs: asparagus and rhubarb!
You're lucky that you have those coming to fruition already - such fun!

Enjoy!