Friday, May 1, 2009

Good Salad Recipe

Today I got to go see the new & improved Carmel DQ - wow - impressive! Looked around at other changes in Carmel since I was here in Sept. - it's constantly growing and changing. Went to see dad's headstone - it's really nice (took pictures). Did some things around the house and some shopping for me and mom. We're having a new to me recipe that I like tonight which I'll post another day. Today for lunch we had the following favorite salad recipe. It's from my friend Cindy and didn't have a name so I call it Cindy's Salad - and you can too!

Head of lettuce, torn
baby spinach (about 1/2 bag)
1 lb. bacon, cooked & crumbled
sm. pkg. slivered almonds
1/4 C. sugar
can of mandarin oranges, drained
green onions, sliced

Dressing:

1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. sugar
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
3-4 T. red wine vinegar

Mix dressing ingredients together ahead of time to let the sugar dissolve.

Heat almonds and 1/4 C. sugar on High in non-stick skillet. Stir until sugar melts & almonds brown slightly (stir constantly and watch closely - they get done fast). Pour out onto a piece of foil and let cool. Break into small pieces. Combine lettuce, spinach, bacon, almonds, oranges and green onions with dressing right before serving.

No comments: