Sunday, May 24, 2009

Enchilada Casserole

It's been a really nice Sun. The weather is in the mid 70's, I'm getting to watch the Indy 500 race live (it's always blacked out in the Indy area and you watch it that night) and making food for later in the new kitchen! I'm going to bring more stuff from the old house over, then Glenn, Amy, the boys, Diane & Lacey are coming over for grilling and watching NASCAR on the new TV.

Here is the recipe I mentioned making recently - a past church meal favorite. It's layered more like a Mexican lasagna. Don't make this if you're on a diet!

ENCHILADA CASSEROLE


1 1/2 lb. ground beef or shredded cooked chicken

1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies

1 T. minced onions

1/2 t. ground cumin

1 T. chili powder

dash of garlic powder

8 corn tortillas

16 oz. sour cream

1 1/2 lb. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
(I don't use this much)
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce


Brown ground beef or cook and shred chicken, whichever one you're using. Drain. Add tomato sauce, minced onions, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and green chilies. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 min. While simmering, spread each tortilla generously with sour cream.


Grease a 10x6 inch baking dish. (Do not use a 9 x 13 inch pan.) Place 2 tortillas in bottom of dish. Top with meat mixture, then put 2 more tortillas on top of meat mixture. Top those with cheese. Place 2 more tortillas on top of cheese. Continue the same layering, making sure to end with a cheese layer. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until cheese is slightly browned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe, Cindy. I finally caught myself up on your blog today-5/28. Did you know my middle name is also Mae? After Pearl Mae and my granddaughter is Lindsey Mae. When will you be back in Indy? I'm about to flip over the calendar and want to put you down in ink. Will it be on my birthday, June 11th or thereafter?
Hope your mom won't need the tubes, but if she does, pray for quick healing. Take care and love from Indy! Suetta

Anonymous said...

Yum, thanks for this wonderful creation. This was delicious and I have plenty for leftovers. It didn't take long to make either. I appreciate getting this from you.
Delora