Thursday, September 29, 2011

In Training

Yesterday I thought I was going to get some things done around the house in the afternoon after going to Pocahontas in the morning, but Bill called and asked if I could help with beans since we were not going to be close to the elevator and it would take Tim quite a while to haul to town. Pam & Carl were out of town.

So Tim trained me to drive the cart and catch beans. He dumped them into the semi for me. It can be a little too easy to dump a whole bunch of $$$$/beans on the ground if you don't know what you're doing! I've noticed that farmers talk about it when they see a pile on the ground in somebody's field too! I'm starting to not be a
s nervous now that I've had a little more practice.

It was sunny and got up to about 80 with no wind so by dark it was getting very hard to see with all of the dust hanging in the air. The guys said they hadn't seen it that bad for several years.

When we moved the equip. from Peggy's to the field, Bill was in the combine, then me pulling a trailer with the bean head on it, then Tim in the quadtrac. There was quite a bit of traffic to contend w
ith which is never good. The video below is of Bill getting the bean head on the combine once we got to the field.

I was planning for lunch at noon today but Bill called and said they were going to keep the combine running which means that Tim goes home for lunch at noon, then Bill at 1:00 while Tim runs it. Now Bill has called to say he'll be even later due to just getting a fire call. A fire today with this wind is not good. Hope it's not a field fire with things being so dry. (what did we do without microwaves??)

The sunrise this morning was pretty. That's the view to the back of our house. We've been seeing lots more sunrises lately than we usually do! My camera doesn't take sunrises or sunsets very well on any setting.

We are very sad today. We found out that a farmer we know was killed in a combine accident near here last night. He had just recently retired from the post office and could just farm. He and I had talked about me learning and helping Bill with farming. He told me some of the things he had told his wife like to just take it slow and not get "rammy". He said I would do fine. He was a really nice guy.

Also I see on the news today that a mail carrier was killed when she was hit by a tractor coming out of a field. This is a dangerous time of year with all the big equipment being used. Did you know that farming is one of the most dangerous professions?

1 comment:

kelly said...

I pray everyday for my farmers,. It scares the daylights out of me.