Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Clay County Fair in Spencer

Most people in our area like the Clay County Fair better than the Iowa State Fair. I don't understand how 4-H works here though when the State Fair is before this county fair?? We picked a perfect weather day to go yesterday: low 70's with a little breeze, sunny and blue sky. Many times at fair time it's either too hot or cold and drizzly.

I was walki
ng around and saw a bunch of people at the monkey show so I stopped to see what was going on and caught the very end of the show. You could get your picture taken with one of the monkeys so I watched a few people/kids get theirs taken and decided "why not"? How often can you get a good blog picture like that! As we were waiting for them to bring the one out for the pictures, a guy near me said he wondered if it would be the one that had "acted up" during the show. (yikes) We figured they were trying to calm him down in the back! Not sure if he's smiling or baring his teeth!
The parking is very organized with guys on horseback directing you to your spot. They have golf cars that will take you all the way in including stopping to buy your tickets. We walked this time but it's handy on the really hot or cold days or for older people, etc. The guy on the horse said I could take his picture as long as it didn't end up in the post office.

The new fried food this year was butter - a whole stick! People were actually buying it!























Bill and I always split up. I look in the buildings and watch people and he heads for the farm equipment. We meet for lunch. This year we didn't have our usual tenderloins. Bill had a pulled pork sandwich and cheese curds, and I had a corn dog, corn nuggets and a lemon shakeup. They don't have elephant ears here. I always ride the tractor pulled wagon around the whole place to see if I've missed anything important. Then we finish the day by riding the sky ride round trip together.

It was Seniors Day and as we were leaving, we watched a 71 year old guy climb to the top of the climbing wall. His friends were proud of him.

We're supposed to have frost tonight. Bill says that means we'll be combining by about Sat. and the fun will begin!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that fair but haven't gone to it in a long time. I can't believe people eat fried butter and haven't seen that at our fair in Blue Earth--yuck!

Karen

Marie said...

Looks like you had a great time. I love spending time in the buildings too.