Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Back to Work for Me

This is the best "picture" I've seen so far. The full grain cart is unloading into the semi so the combine is unloading into the cart which will end up in the semi too.

Today Bill and Tim combined corn behind our house until noon, had lunch and then went to beans behind Peggy's house. The corn and beans are still too wet even though we've been having really nice weather. Tomorrow is to be near 80 which may help.

Yesterday morning I got busy early making a cherry pie to go
along with Salisbury steak, green beans, cheese potatoes and baked potato bread (got that at the Farmers' Market) for lunch for Carl, Pam, Bill and me. I'm learning how to make these "threshing crew meals" from Aunt Bette Jo. She is really organized, everything is ready to be set on the table when you get there, and she really has a spread of food.

Carl & Pam help us a lot during the Fall. Carl mostly drives a semi and Pam mostly drives the tractor with grain cart. But they both do other jobs if needed. Don't know what we'd do without them.

After lunch, I starte
d my first day back to work ripping in a 95 acre field that they were combining. Had a short refresher course from Bill and got busy. Today I actually moved from that field to our house - my first time to go that far on the roads. All went well - I didn't meet anybody!

The combine scared a deer out of the corn but
I was on the other side of the field so it kind of stayed in the middle and ate while it was deciding where it should go. It was fun for me to be in a field where everybody else was for part of the day. They got done and moved/left me for about the last three hours I was out.

I went back and finished that field this morning and then ripped between two terraces behind our house this afternoon.

You can see green there by the deer. We had about 3 drowned out spots in this field due to all the rain in the spring. One of the spots was 7 acres. Weeds end up growing in these spots. Bill disked
it last night.

The bales are not ours. I always like seeing fields with bales for some reason.




No comments: