Friday, September 17, 2010

We Have Grass!

Ripping 2010 Day 1 - Bill had trained me to rip back in the spring and I had just a few practice hours. Today before lunch we had 4 wheel drive tractor/ripping refresher class! After lunch I was out there from 2:00 until 7:15 and did get this field done except for the end rows. It was a 75 acre field and easier than many (not many obstacles). Click on the arrow/video below to get a better idea of what I'm doing.

My job has been upgraded this year! Last year I was chopping stalks and had just started doing a fairly decent
job. But over the winter, they sold the stalk chopper and got a new corn head that chops the stalks as you combine which saves a step - and fuel, time, manpower, etc.! Makes lots of sense. The new corn head is working well Bill says.

This tractor has auto steer which means you don't have to steer while going down the row but do have to turn it off and make the turn at each end of the field, then turn it back on. It knows where you are in the field with GPS (Bill says it's like a high end Garmin).

Our yard is starting to get green!!!!!

No comments: