Saturday, July 17, 2010

Area News

As I was going into Pocahontas yesterday to stop at the fair, I saw fire trucks with lights & sirens on. Turns out they were going to the elevator where a grain holding bin was on fire - about 300,000 bushels! They had to start emptying the corn into semis. They're hauling it to our town where they can dump it on a blacktop pad here at our elevator that's normally used in the winter for temporary corn storage outside. The whole town of Pocahontas smelled like smoke yesterday. I babysat Lacey & Camry last night and there were lots of semis and the fire trucks working away after midnight when I went by. They're still hauling today and will be for a while.

Lacey lost her 2nd tooth last night. Todd was pulling it as I got there. I HATE loose teeth! I had dreams for years that my mouth was full of loose teeth! Worked out great for getting her to bed - I told her she better get to sleep before the Tooth Fairy came!

I found bad news at the fair - my cookies got a White ribbon. My baking skills have evidently gone downhill as I've gotten older! There were only 3 adult cookie entries - so White is REALLY bad! I think I only got one White ribbon in the 7 years I was in 4-H! May have to try one more time next year - with butterhorn yeast rolls. If they don't like those . . . that's it!

Today I went on a Garden Walk in Pocahontas. Will post lots of pictures. All 4 gardens were very nice but it was so hot that everyone was kind of hurrying through.

This beautiful row of hollyhocks is in town. I was never able to keep them from falling over but have asked around and think I know what to try now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

*GASP!!* A WHITE RIBBON!! Oh the humanity! :P

Don't feel bad, we just have very high standards...why do you think there were only three entries?

-Jim

Glenn Markley said...

Cindy: You can cook, it must have been the judges! What is the secret on Holyhocks?

Glenn

Cindy said...

Stake them or plant more than one row - like 3 or 4 - together. They get thicker and kind of hold each other up. That's what I'm going to try. Looks like that's what they've done in this picture.

Anonymous said...

I think the judges just don't like chocolate chip cookies. They have poor taste. I think yours are blue ribbon cookies.

Mom