Friday, May 21, 2010

Baby Chicks

Todd and his dad have been experimenting with having chickens for the past year. They recently put some fresh chicken eggs in a warmer type thing. It took a few days for these babies to crack their way out of the eggs. These are just a week old! There are 19 of them. Watch the video at the bottom to see them running around and best of all HEAR them!




They got chicks in the mail last year about this time and have had 13 chickens for a year. (mail carriers don't deliver boxes of chicks - the people have to pick them up at the post office! )

They get big enough to lay eggs pretty quick really. They lay from 9-12 eggs a day in these 6 boxes.



In Bill's Iowa Farmer Today that we got today, the cooking article is all about eggs! It says that eggs contain 13 vitamins and minerals, fiber and high-quality protein at only 70 calories each.





















I had been hearing for years from mom & my uncles that roosters are mean. I hadn't experienced that until yesterday. This one came running into the chicken house when I was getting eggs and flew up at me for no reason! Diane says they try to "spur" you with their feet. I kicked it when it flew up a couple of times but it didn't seem to help - as I backed up to the door! Then when I was taking this picture outside the fence, he was still wanting to get me! I guess when kicking didn't work, mom and her brothers resorted to a baseball bat. They talk of one time knocking a rooster out and they thought it was dead! They were happy! But not sure if they'd be in trouble.

No comments: