Friday, May 7, 2010

Rain Delay & Tire Problems

We've had rain again - enough to stop field work. Bill says he could be done in two full, good days but the weather forecast isn't looking good for that any time soon.

Yesterday was one of those days. I started out by going to Case IH in Spencer (about an hour away) for tractor parts (4 wheel drive). Which isn't all bad since there's a Walmart there and Del's Nursery. Bill requested something from Walmart and said I didn't have to rush back so that was nice. I made it back a little before noon. Came by the house to drop purchases off and heat up leftovers for our lunch to take out to where Bill was planting. Was glad I had leftovers including main dish and 2 vegetables!

After lunch I picked up the mower and headed to our house to cut the grass. Not too far down the road, I had shredded a tire on the trailer that Bill said was most likely flat when I pulled out - not good. I got a ride (kind of like hitch hiking but I knew the guy that came by!) back to Peggy's house where my Pilot was. Went and got Bill. He took off the shredded tire, found another old one, sent me to the tire store and he went back to planting. I went back to get him after I had the "fixed tire", he put it on and went back to planting, and I cut the grass at our house.

I was planning to do the bin site next, then on to Zeman's and be done before the rain came! But halfway there the trailer started shaking bad and sure enough, another shredded tire - same one! This happened by the highway and Bill didn't answer his cell phone (probably no service) so I decided I shouldn't leave the mower there right by the highway & other reasons) so I drove the mower to Peggy's (about 1 1/4 miles). She gave me a ride back to the field Bill was still in. I rode with him until Tim came to the rescue with a NEW tire he had off of something else. He then followed me to Peggy's where I parked it!

Then I went to the seed dealer for some bags of bean seed. They don't use many bags now with the new planter (they get them in bulk in big boxes) but to finish up fields and have the amounts come out right, they need some bags. The bags are 50 lbs.

One of the farmers there at the Pioneer seed dealer's thought it was interesting that I had on a DeKalb jacket! I explained that the elevator was giving Bill a "free" jacket the first year I was here and asked what size I wanted, color, etc. I finally got it about 2 years later! In the meantime they gave me a lighter weight one which is what I had on yesterday. This guy said "at least they give stuff" because I guess the Pioneer guy doesn't!

On the way back, I stopped by home and made us some sandwiches and went back to where Bill was - with food and seed. We
ate and it started to rain. He kept planting and managed to get the field done. He said he made 11 calls and received 9 yesterday - most after lunch! It was a crazy day for us and Tim & Bette Jo too. They had been gone and got home to find out that her dad had gone in the hospital.

Today, I've been at home doing what I do better - I made homemade spaghetti sauce for lunch and to freeze and baked brownies. We're getting pizza tonight! It's been rainy and very windy today.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog, on good days and the not-so-good ones. Makes me miss you more, but also pray for sunnier times. Love you,
Suetta