Saturday, May 1, 2010

Rag Quilt Purses



Yesterday I got busy working on my Rag Quilt Purse projects again. When I was at Mom's, I got the purse part made of the first one but not the handles (2nd picture). Just getting back to it here. I got all of the batting cut (3rd picture) and the 2 patterns of fabric (4th photo) run through the Big Shot (last photo) for a 2nd purse.

Today I started trying to sew. I say it that way because this sewing machine was Grandma R.'s, and I had not ever used it yet! She would've used it last about 4 years ago! It took me a while to figure out what the settings needed to be, find a different foot and throat plate, put in a new needle, fill a bobbin, etc. It seemed a little sluggish at first (probably needs to be oiled!), but it's sewing pretty good now.

Grandma would be really happy that I'm using her sewing machine. She put lots of hours on it. I think she probably would've made rag quilt purses for all the girls in the family for Christmas too! Every year she always made something for us like crocheted scarves, cross stitch pictures, doilies and covered hangers.

I haven't really sewn since 4-H, except for fixing things here and there, so that's been years ago. I never liked making those aprons and skirts we had to make in 4-H!

The Big Shot is a product that I sell through Stampin' Up! (see right column) When these rag quilt purses became hot a few months ago, I thought "I can do that - it's just all straight stitching"! Sure enough - it's easy and fun!

You can put a long strip of fabric 5" wide folded up through the Big Shot using the scalloped square die we also sell (in the last photo), and cut 6-8 squares at a time!

I'll post pictures of the finished purses in the next couple of days!

I'm excited to get these done so that I can make Diane a baby quilt with these scalloped squares! It'll be fast and easy and very soft. Shhhhh, it's a surprise! It'll be a surprise to me too if I get it done, but I think I can!

*** let me know if you're interested in buying a Big Shot so you can do these fun things too! It's a great machine for scrapbooking, card making, fabric projects and lots more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've sold me, I am going to have to get a Big Shot. Mom