Friday, December 12, 2008

Shopping - Big & Small

We are going to Ft. Dodge today for an eye appointment and Christmas shopping - all day. :( While we're gone the roof trusses are going up!

The other night Bill and I were discussing the possibility that he and Tim (and me and Bette Jo!) might be getting a new combine (John Deere) before the end of the year! I can't remember all the details about the bean head and this and that and all the pros and cons but did ask if he was going to get one of the new corn heads that chops the stalks at the same time you're combining - because that would mean I'm out of a Fall job already! He said not yet but not to worry - there are plenty of opportunities for advancement for me with my farming career from ripping to combining to driving the grain cart after Pam retires! (please Pam, don't retire for many years!) They're looking at a used one with new bean head. He tells me that a new combine ready to go would be about $325,000, used about $250,000. I'll keep you posted but I know there has been a lot of calculating going on, looking on the John Deere web site & brochures, phone calls and e mails to the banker!

No comments: