Saturday, September 7, 2013

Freezing Corn

While my mom was here recently, our sweet corn happened to be ready, and it was good this year.  Tim and Bill had planted 16 rows with the planter for the first planting and 8 more rows to be ready a little later - in other words a LOT of sweet corn!  Tim puts an electric fence around it to keep the raccoons out which seems to work!

We went out in the morning and picked a bunch and shucked it in the field.  Mom had the job of taking silks off, boiling it and getting it into the ice water.  I used my electric knife to cut it off the cob and bagged it.  I still had some left from last year so just did 10 more small bags, and Mom went home with 8 quart size bags.  I don't remember it being a bad job last year, but the job went much faster this year with two of us.
I really like using the electric knife.  But I took it slow and easy.
And my favorite picture, the "strips" of corn.  I like eating these strips if you cut if off the cob right on to your plate!  Grandma R. had false teeth so she always cut her corn off and would ours too sometimes, and I always remember it falling in strips!
love strips of fresh corn!

No comments: