Sunday, June 23, 2013

Farming Update

Yesterday we had the biggest day of planting beans we've had so far - Bill planted 160 acres in three fields starting at 3:00.  According to the radar and the skies, we were going to get a lot of rain - again.  Lots of it went around us but lightening and light rain started at about 8:00.  He kept going until the field was done.  I rode with him in two fields and got to see how muddy it is.  We about got stuck a few times.  He had to lift the planter and skip spots - not good.  Tim and Brian were trying to work ground ahead of us.  We have 500 acres in five fields left to do.   

We ended up getting 6/10" of rain last night so no field work today.

I served refreshments after church with two other couples today.  I made about 9 doz. Jackpot Drops.  Lori K. made about the same amount of cookies and Lori J. brought 5 lbs. of cheese curds and cucumber sandwiches.  We just had a few cookies left and sent them with the kids who were getting to go boating this afternoon. 

After lunch I had to run to Ft. Dodge because I got my cell phone wet last night and it's not working.  They ended up suggesting that I put it in rice for 24 hours to try to dry it out.  Sure hope it works.  On my way to Ft. Dodge,  I saw lots of other unplanted and weedy fields on my drive and lots of drowned out spots.  They say that Illinois and Indiana crops don't look any better than here. 

No comments: