Thursday, June 7, 2012

WOW!!

I have been on some adventures this week and it's only Thursday!  I have several good pictures to share over the new few days!  

Mon. I went to Ft. Dodge.   Then we got the call that the parts at Heartland Ag  in Boone were in, so Tues. I went there.  Remember this was where I went a year ago and ended up not coming home for two days!  

This time I did go to Lowe's (the closest one to us is the Boone/Ames one) to check on something, to Sam's Club, and had lunch at Hickory Park which Mom &  I found last trip.

Near Boone it gets pretty hilly and there are lots of trees.  On the way there I saw some brown road signs re: landmarks to drive to and they were on those pretty kind of roads.  You know - the ones you see from the highway that curve and maybe go uphill or downhill and you just want to go see the pretty scenery down that road.  Sometimes if you do it's disappointing, but other times you find some really neat scenery like I did!

On the way home, I decided to check out the back roads off of Highway 30 and turned at the sign that mentioned some bridges.  Water and bridges are usually in pretty areas.

I rounded a corner, going downhill and WOW!!!  A HUGE bridge was in front of me - with a train going across it!  I thought this must be the high bridge we went over when we did the Boone Scenic Railroad trip this time last year!  It turns out that this is a different high bridge - the Kate Shelley High Bridge - one of the highest double tracks in the U.S. and built in 1899 and was 185' high and 2685' long.  Then a new one was built next to it which was finished in 2009 and is 190' high and 2813' long!  If you Google it, there is a lot more information and lots more pictures or click HERE to read a little about it.  Kate Shelley, 17, saved many lives when she warned an oncoming passenger train of a washed out bridge during a stormy night in 1881.  The interesting story is HERE.


I sure wasn't expecting to find a bridge like this!!  Come back to visit to see what else I came across this day.

The Kate Shelley High Bridge
The bridge from a distance
The old and new bridges
 

No comments: