Wednesday, November 20, 2013

If you love chocolate like we do . . . .

Unfortunately, Bill and I are chocoholics.  It's bad.  And our main thing we're addicted to is 
M & M's - plain ones.  I used to have vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup all the time and that would "do it" (my mom & dad owned a Dairy Queen for 17 years so maybe that had something to do with it!).  But now I crave brownies fairly often.  Homemade hot fudge syrup is to die for too.  I've posted the recipe for that from the old Amana cookbook already.  If you want to try it, look at my post categories on the right side and click on Recipes and then scroll down until you find it.  That is so good (and easy - make in the microwave) and better than any you can buy in a jar.

During harvest, Bill will have some kind of chocolate candy bar most days - usually a Snickers.  (since I admitted what I like, I had to mention what he likes too)  You've already heard that he LOVES apple pie, but if we don't have that, an Oreo after a meal will do.

I've made a couple of different recipes for "lava cake" but the latest one was this one.  It came from a newspaper and this one is called Grandma Lutz's Chocolate Sunday Cake.  But I'm just going to call it Lava Cake.  It ends up having gooey chocolate on the bottom and then chocolate cake on top.  You scoop it out of the baking dish with a spoon and serve warm with ice cream.  Yum!  Enjoy!  (***warning - it's very rich)

LAVA CAKE

Cake:
3/4 c. sugar
1 c. flour
3 T. cocoa
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. milk
1/3 c. melted butter
1 1/2 t. vanilla
Sift together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.  Mix milk, melted butter and vanilla.  Combine wet and dry ingredients in an 8-inch pan.

Topping:
1/2 c. brown sugar
4 T. cocoa
3/4 c. white sugar
   Combine brown sugar, cocoa and white sugar.  Sprinkle mix over cake batter.  DO NOT MIX IN.  Pour 1 1/4 c. hot water over entire dish.  DO NOT STIR.  Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.  Serve warm with ice cream.