Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Here We Go!

Sunrise from the kitchen window.
I love watching for pretty sunrises and sunsets!  Yesterday was our first day of combining this season and it started off with a really nice sunrise.  Our alarm goes off at 6:00 during Harvest.  We're spoiled and don't like waking up when it's dark, but if I get to see a sunrise like this, it makes it worth getting up early.

We started in a field of corn that's about 94 acres.  It's completely done as of today, and we've moved to the next one across the road.   With the wet spring we had, most of the crops got planted late.  It's unusual to be combining corn before the beans but the beans are just not ready yet.  The elevator is closing at 6:00 so we can only work after that until our semis and grain cart are full.  The guys take the trucks to the elevator in the morning when it opens at 7 a.m. and then we can get started again.  

The ripping job that I do after the combining is done can usually be done about any time night or day.  Last night I stayed out until about 9:00.  I don't like being out there after dark much.  It's hard to see what you're doing, and I don't like walking to the vehicle in the dark (yep, I have a flashlight).  So far (knock on wood) things are going much better for me this season.  I'm not nervous any more (except driving on the road), and I can even back up!   My corners still need some work.  Maybe by the time we're done this year . . .
Combine almost full - the corn is peaking out of the top.


  
I got caught up with ripping so was off this afternoon.  I did a couple blog posts and scheduled them to post in the next few days.  Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matthew is requesting you post videos of the farming:)

Karen

Cindy said...

I'll see what I can do. Having some problems with pictures in general right now! Will try to take some with my old camera.