Sunday, October 20, 2013

Harvest News

With snow in the forecast for Tues., all the farmers around here quickly switched from combining corn back to beans.  The corn can hold up better than the beans if snowed on so trying to get the beans done.

I got caught up with the ripping today.  My goal was to be done by 6:00 so I could get home to watch Sunday Night Football tonight.  It's the Colts vs. the Broncos.  In case you don't know, the long time Colts quarterback, Peyton Manning, now plays for the Broncos.  Should be an exciting game!!  Mom tells me that all the Indy area hotels are booked and fountains were being dyed blue downtown.  One of my friends said "everyone" had on their blue Colts shirts today.  I did too here in Iowa but I was the only one here! 

Today I finished Tim's field and then moved to a 40 acre field.  I got both done right at 6:00!  Then had to drive the tractor to Tim's house, grab our pickup and go to another field where Bill had started combining beans to wait for Tim to get there with the tractor and grain cart.  Then I dropped him off at our bin site where a semi was that he needed to take to Bill's mom's bean field where Bill will go after he finishes the other field.  Farming involves lots of moving!  I got home about 6:45.  Bill plans to combine as long as he can depending on the moisture tonight or until trucks are full.

It got very windy this evening which made 50 degrees feel cold.  

Yesterday I had my great niece riding with me all day.  She loved it and learned a lot!

No comments: