Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Canteen

I had a day of painting in the new addition at our church today.  We had at least 15 painters so good turnout.  Someone made BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, chips, layered salad, choc. chip cookies, banana cake and apple pie bars for lunch for us.  We painted lots of shades of browns with accent walls like navy, rust and red.  I'm wondering if I'll be able to get out of bed in the morning!

After the rain we had a couple of days ago, Bill got back to applying anhydrous to the bean fields this afternoon.  He's working until about 10:00 tonight.  

This was a stop I made on my way to Indiana.  I had read about The Canteen in Ottumwa, Iowa in Our Iowa magazine and also the pie lady's book, Making Piece.   Click HERE to read rave reviews and more info. about this place!   

It's been around for many, many years and a parking garage has been built above and around it, but people still come!  There are only about 15 seats at a horseshoe shaped counter inside this diner that mainly has "loose meat" sandwiches.  Check out the menu in one of my pictures!  They have several kinds of pie each day but no longer make it there.  I'm not a fan of loose meat sandwiches including maid-rites, but this is another one of those places I'm really glad I took the time to find and have lunch at!

Check out how a parking garage was built around it!

All seating (15 seats) are at the horseshoe shaped counter.

  









The limited menu that has been the same for years.
This is the meat cooker that they serve from in the middle of the horseshoe.









The loose meat sandwich usually ordered with mustard & pickle - and no plate!
Lots of visitors have found it.

Flowers in the street by where I parked.

A building in Ottumwa.

No comments: