Monday, October 1, 2012

Still Combining

Bill tells me tonight that we have right at 200 acres of corn left to combine and then we'll be done with that.  Jim was home for a long weekend and did my ripping job so today I made lunch for everybody.  We had grilled pork chops, green beans, sweet potato casserole (Jim's favorite), rolls, peaches and pecan pie.  He's going home tomorrow so I'll be back to ripping but plan to put lunch in the crock pot in the morning.  I'm sending the leftover sweet potato casserole home with him.  Tomorrow Lacey gets to come out and ride with Aunt Cindy after school.   

The weather has been beautiful - still no rain.  We're supposed to have two more real nice days and then it's going to be highs in the 40's and lows in the low 30's.  Brrrr.    The trees here have been at their peak color and have been the prettiest I've seen them in the five years I've lived here.  I noticed that this year, even the asparagus plants in the ditches all over have turned a bright yellow and so have lots of weeds along the road.  They say that this has been an exceptional year for pumpkins and gourds so the drought must be good for something.

I'm just going to post several pictures of the trees and harvest.
The trail is pretty right now - it's just down the road from our house.

The park in town where our Farmers' Market is. 

Our town's main street - some big, pretty trees.

Asparagus' fall color - Bill says some years it turns yellow and some it just dies.

Jim doing the ripping.  The trees around the house in the distance are colorful.

Matthew going from riding with Pam in the tractor & cart back to the combine with Uncle Bill.


The trees in front of our house. 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cindy,
Nice fall pictures. I really like the one you use on your blog page that shows the beautiful landscape and the combine...it looks like it cold be on a magazine!

Karen