Saturday, April 11, 2009

Day of Food

With it being Easter weekend and Greg being in Florida for a long weekend, no work on the house today or tomorrow. Kyle & 2 of his little ones stopped by for a tour.

I picked up Lacey early this morning to keep her while Todd & Diane worked. She came home with me and we got busy making a breakfast feast for the triplets: eggs, bacon, hash browns, pancakes and "biscuits to butter" as they say! They don't want sausage gravy & biscuits, just biscuits to butter. :) They told me about their prom plans (which is next weekend), looked at the house and were gone. Lacey was a "big" helper. She set the table, stirred things and put dishes in the dishwasher. She
pretended that we were cooking in a restaurant - and it felt like it to me!

This afternoon I made my long time favorite spaghetti sauce. While waiting for the house to be done, I've been making some things that can be frozen for quick heat up when we're busy with planting and moving soon. I can't hardly eat spaghetti sauce from a jar after having this. Hope you like it as much as I do.

SPAGHETTI SAUCE

1 c. finely chopped onions
1 lb. sausage
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
2 sm. cans mushrooms - or fresh (optional)
2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
2 large cans crushed tomatoes
1 16 oz. can crushed or diced tomatoes
2 12 oz. cans tomato paste
2 t. dried basil
4 t. dried parsley
4 t. dried oregano
1 T. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
2 T. sugar

Brown meat with onions, drain. Put all ingredients in a large crock pot and cook on low all day. I freeze the sauce in the amount we need for a meal plus leftovers. I also use this sauce to make lasagna.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I opened a jar of spaghetti sauce yesterday and ate one serving and the rest went into the disposal. Not as good.