Saturday, August 25, 2012

The American Gothic House

My most anticipated and fun stop on my trip home from Peoria across southeastern Iowa was in Eldon, Iowa to see the original American Gothic House and the pie lady, Beth Howard, who lives in the house and sells her homemade pies every weekend in the summer. She calls it the Pitchfork Pie Stand.  I had read about all of this a few months before so planned that I would come home through this area which was only a little out of the way.

First I stopped in the new looking American Gothic House Center where there was the famous painting, displays and a gift shop.  They have costumes and a pitch fork so that you can pose in front of the house - which I did.  They will take your picture for you for $2.
 
Then I went over to the actual American Gothic House to check out the pies.  Beth was on her way out for a trip to appear on Marie Osmond's show so I didn't get to meet her.  I did buy an apple pie and her signed book, Making Piece a memoir of love, loss and pie.

Her life has been interesting.  She was not happy with her marriage to a workaholic so asked him for a divorce hoping that that would get his attention.  Instead he kept working and died suddenly.  She felt like she killed him and missed him terribly.  She threw herself into making pies which is her therapy.  I won't tell you more - you'll just have to read her book!  I'm about half finished with it now.  I'm including some links HERE, HERE and HERE where you can click and read about the famous American Gothic House, see some videos of Beth, inside her house and her blog, The World Needs More Pie.  My next post will include some more pictures of my very fun visit. 






No comments: