Saturday, May 12, 2012

Moving Right Along and then . . .

Looking out from inside the cab - Bill & Carl working
 Yesterday was going to be a good day with all of us smoothly getting a lot done.  My biggest worry was moving from the first field to the second - ON THE ROAD ! ! !  They've been having me move myself the past few days and it does make me nervous.  I don't mind the driving on the road part but my fear is meeting cars or especially other big equipment.  There isn't room for both of you on the road.  What I'm pulling takes up about 3/4 or more of the road.  You have to be constantly looking for some place you could pull over even if just a little bit.  Most of the time the edge is not very wide and there's a big drop off into the ditch.  Most people in cars just speed right by and have no patience.  There are a few that know better and they find a spot to get out of your way - but very few.  It's scary.  Thankfully I haven't met another tractor yet this spring.   I told Bill there should be a flashing sign that says "Beware - Driver in Training" on the front of my tractor! 

Working near the train track
So I got moved to the second field without meeting anyone and all was going well until I was almost done in a field about 4:00 and ready to move to the next field when a transmission hose broke.  It sprayed oil all over and took the guys about 4 hours to fix and it wasn't an easy job. They got done right before dark.  They said it would've happened to whoever was driving (whew!) - the hose had rubbed on something and wore through.


 We were working right next to the train track west of town.  Two trains went by during the day there.

Today we have visitors coming.  Our little twin niece & nephew & their sister.  Matthew REALLY likes farming and will be riding with Uncle Bill and asking LOTS of questions.  Jim is back this weekend.  Peggy is having lunch for us.

Today I'm going to start in a field that's the main corner into town.  Hopefully most of the farmers will be busy in their own fields and not driving by.  :)  (when you're a rookie you don't want people critiquing how you're doing!)   I think I'm still supposed to be babysitting Diane's girls tonight.   Busy day.
The new hose (Bill & Uncle Tim)


No comments: