Friday, October 1, 2010

Stinky Cattle

This is a feed lot that we pass on the highway going into our town from the south. It's one of those farms that you try to remember to turn on the recirculate button before you get close! Pretty strong some days. They're in a pretty small area.

Bill thinks they'll be done combining beans tomorrow. We're having a nice, long stretch of sunny & dry weather with more of the same the next few days (lucky!).

I was home most of the day getting caught up on things. Tonight I took sandwiches out to Tim & Carl at the bin site and then north to where Bill was combining. I rode with him until he w
as done with that field. He has to take the head of the combine off when moving to another field (because it's too wide for being on the road). He puts it on a long trailer that's then pulled by the pickup. So I followed him to the next field, then took him back for the combine. He moved it and I came home.

They were combining seed beans today. This is the first time they've planted them and the beans did pretty well. They hauled them to one of their bins vs. to town for now. Eventually, probably this winter, they will haul them to the Pioneer processing plant in Renwick, Iowa.

All the ground right around us is bare now. We had beans in our field around our house and there were beans across the road.

Bill says tomorrow is my last "free" day before getting in the tractor for several days so the plan is for me to go to Algona for some bush hog parts that are in. Algona's about 40 min. away. I'll stop at a (bigger) grocery there while I have the chance.

When Dave or Jim help us with ripping, they're texting, looking at Facebook and stuff on their phones while going down the field on auto steer. But Bill and I still don't have all of that on our phones so I'll be out of touch!



No comments: