Sunday, October 10, 2010

Dumping on the Go


Due to the long line at the elevator, I'm caught up to the combine! This video is Bill in the combine and Pam driving the tractor with the cart. Bill also has a rider, Glenn Markley.

I had a good start to the day yesterday doing end rows. They weren't near as bad in this straight field! But then I started in the field that Bill and all were working in and the problems began. Couldn't get the angle going with the GPS. First problem was that I didn't have the thing engaged next to the steering wheel (operator error)! Then Bill noticed I was missing a point on the ripper. So I went to the shop at Peggy's to get one of those (and a spare) and Bill got that put on.

Bette Jo & Tim went to a funeral for the mother of a guy we farm for. Turns out Tim didn't miss anything with the elevator delays. Bill even had time to stop the combine and jump in a semi and take it to the elevator.

We had planned to have lunch for Carl & Pam here. But due to Carl & Bill having to wait in line in the semis, Pam & I picked up the chicken from the grocery (glad they have hot food now!), came home and put the chicken, broasted potatoes, my apple salad and pumpkin pie in containers, grabbed some drinks and we all had lunch in the parking lot of the elevator!

After lunch all went well. We even had some little riders with us after about 3:00 - the twins.

The elevator closed at 6:00 and will be closed today which meant moving from this field close to the elevator to way up north to fields where they can take the corn to our bins today.

Most of us go to church on Sundays, have lunch on our own and then get started. Bill & Carl usually get things ready to go and have a quick lunch at Pronto. The cooks are off on Sundays!

This morning, Bill was going to fuel my tractor and I'd get going early but he found a leaking steering hose so is fixing that. Hope we're not going to have another slow start today. It's another beautiful, warm fall day. This makes about 13 in a row.

In the meantime I've gotten the lunch dishes from yesterday washed, have 2 loads of laundry going and have paid a couple of bills. The Colts game is on TV here this week, but I'll be in the tractor. Thank goodness for DVR's!!

There's my call - the tractor is ready!

No comments: