Friday, October 8, 2010

Harvest Lunches

Not much time to do blog posts right now but will try to do some quick ones as often as I can!

Like last year, Aunt Bette Jo is feeding all of us lunch. This has worked out really well so that we all stop at the same time and get back to work at the same time. It's a lot of work for her though.

From left to right: Carl who drives a semi usually, rips, moves and fuels equipment (really whatever needs to be done), Bill, Pam (Carl's wife) who drives the grain cart "catching" the corn or beans in the cart usually while moving along ne
xt to the combine (unloading on the go they call it), and then dumping it into a semi, Uncle Tim and Aunt Bette Jo. The guys don't bother to change from their sunglasses for lunch!

Today we had roast beef, (real) mashed potatoes, gravy, leftover ham balls, macaroni salad, green bean casserole, bread, apple pie and ice cream. I may be leaving something out - it's getting late! And these pictures were taken yesterday so different food!

Bill figured up tonight that we have about 700 acres to go. My ripping job is going pretty good but I have a lot to learn and need a lot of practice which I'm getting! Today I hit my first rocks - HUGE ones! Luckily, so far they haven't torn anything up. When ripping, you can't see them - it just all of a sudden happens. You get out and m
ark it with a flag so that Tim or Bill can go back later and dig them out with something big! This last picture was yesterday. I had to go along (just one pass) a dredge ditch. Kinda scary. It looks deeper than this picture probably shows. In this picture I'm crossing over it on a little path to get to a little 10 acre field on the other side. Today in a nice straight, big field was much nicer than yesterday! Tomorrow will be end rows (remember my first fall here I said "end rows give me a headache") - but also some nice straight stuff. And, bonus, I'm in the same area as everybody else so can hear the talk between them on the radio.

Oh, yesterday, in the morning, I delivered fliers for church for our upcoming Women's Conf. and I had chosen Dallas Clark's hometown and the town he went to high school. I wore a Colts shirt for my deliveries. My first stop in his hometown, Livermore, was City Hall where the nice lady that was going to help me get some packets to a couple of the churches said she liked my shirt. Then told me that she is Dallas' mother in law! Had fun talking with her!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What time is lunch at BJ's, is there room for a couple more people??

Cindy said...

you'll have to ask her but there's always plenty!