Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day !

We've had an interesting week.  I went to Bible Study Tues. morning and happened to sit by a woman looking for matchbooks she could decorate and put M & M's in for little Valentine gifts.  I told her I had a machine (the Big Shot) that cuts things like that out that you then just fold up.  I told her I could cut some out for her and get them to her.  She was thrilled.  After Bible Study, we talked more and I found out she LOVES to make cards - and other interesting things about her!  I think I've found a new friend!  She came over Wed. and we got her matchbooks made.

Yesterday and today Bill has had our tax appointment and his mom's in Algona - not fun.  We had snow this morning - 2-3" - then a sunny day at about 12 degrees. 

We usually don't go out for a Valentine's Day dinner due to the lack of nice restaurants around here (and sometimes the weather) so I picked up a couple of nice frozen lobster tails for tonight.   Having only boiled lobster tails maybe four times ever, I have to Google how long to cook them every time.  This time I found a great site and picked up some tips that really helped!

It said to salt the water (1 1/2 t. salt).  I don't think I had done that before.  The best tip was to put a wooden skewer through the tail before cooking to keep them from curling up.  That worked great!  It said to let them drain a minute in a colander.  Then I used kitchen scissors to cut the under side the whole length of the tail, took a fork and grabbed the meat at the tail end and pulled up.  The whole chunk then came out in one piece through the slit! Very nice!

Bill had a baked sweet potato with all the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon & melted marshmallows, and I had a baked potato.  Then I had looked up a copycat recipe for the cheddar cheese garlic biscuits like Red Lobster makes.  They were easy and not too bad.  

I had some red chargers for holiday meals so I got a couple of those out and used them with our white plates, lit the candles, turned on some nice music and we opened some Door County wine.  Very nice, relaxing dinner at home!  Hope yours, whether in or out, was too.   We realized this was our 10th Valentine's Day together already.  I said time flies!   (when you're having fun) 

No comments: