Sunday, July 29, 2012

Recipe - Chicken Spaghetti Casserole

For lunch with my stampin' friend, Ila, I had made Chicken Spaghetti Casserole.  When Mom was recovering from her knee surgery, Aunt Jan brought this over.  For some reason, hers tasted better than mine, but it may partly be that I was tired and tired of cooking!  It really hit the spot - we both really liked it.  It has a little bit of a kick and good taste from the Rotel tomatoes. 

I just served this with some cantaloupe and a cinnamon muffin.

CHICKEN SPAGHETTI CASSEROLE

3-4 boneless chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can chicken broth
4 oz. can of mushrooms (optional)
1 can Rotel tomatoes  (**see note below)
10 oz. spaghetti (cooked and drained)
half of a green pepper, chopped
onion, chopped(see comment below)
8 oz. Velveeta cheese, cut up
buttered cracker crumbs (like Ritz or Towne House)

Cook chicken and shred.  Mix together the soups, broth, chicken, mushrooms, tomatoes and green pepper.  Cook spaghetti and drain.  While spaghetti is hot, stir in the cheese until it begins to melt.  Add rest of ingredients except crumbs.  Put into a 
9 x 13 pan (sprayed with cooking spray).  Sprinkle crumbs on top.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 min. (until bubbly)
 
*   this time I put this in about 4 small baking dishes and froze two of them before baking  
** Bill doesn't like spicy food so the whole can of Rotel tomatoes was too much for him.  This time I used half and think it's about right (for him).  I like it made with the whole can.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Yes, I can vouch for this recipe. It is good! Thanks for sharing some with me---along with the muffins and cantaloupe. :)
Peggy

JANET RANDALL said...

Cindy - I just read this blog entry and thought I'd share that since i gave this to you, I've also tried adding a little chopped onion with the green peppers and cooked them together a bit before adding to the mix. We still love this recipe too . . . it does make a LOT. Good for a church dinner or a large group!

Jan