Sunday, October 18, 2015

Bad Day Continued

If you read yesterday's post, this is a continuation of that - my bad day this harvest season.

So after Bill rescued me from the cemetery predicament, he went on his way back up north to his field, and I made it over to mine - whew.  And had a good day ripping.  

Later I moved to another field and that was going well until just before dark.  I was going around the edge of the field which used to be REALLY stressful for me but now it's ok.  Bill likes for us to do a good job in the corners and back up and rip as close as we can to get rid of as many weeds as possible.  Sometimes this is easier than others depending on whether or not there are still fences around the field, a pile of rocks in the corner, etc.  Why we still have fences that used to be there to keep the cattle in I don't know.  Bill says that I can take them out any time I want to work on that.

In the last corner - after going all around a big field with several corners and other issues - there were weeds and appeared to be no fence in the corner!  So I backed up really far, put the ripper down and took off.  I got a little ways forward and all of a sudden it started pulling hard which seemed strange - something had to be wrong.  I looked back and saw a big mess IN the middle of the ripper!  Got out and OMG, there was a huge metal gate stuck in the middle of the ripper along with a lot of dirt and weeds!  Where did that come from?!  So I raised the ripper to see if it would just drop it but no such luck - it was in there bad (along with a lot of dirt that the gate had eventually drug with it).

So I called Bill to come help - again.  While I waited for him to get there I pulled as many weeds out of the way as I could and cut a little wire, etc.  (I have my own wire cutters in the tractor for this very reason!)  It got dark.  It took him quite a while to cut enough wire to get this thing loose.  And turns out it was not one gate but TWO!!  OMG!

But Bill couldn't be mad because they had left these gates, laying flat, there for several years once they weren't needed anymore.  And weeds grew up in and around them.  

He was nice and finished going along the last edge with fence for me, and I think I quit for the night at that point.  Soon after, I got an e mail that there was no meeting - but it would be soon.  Whew - what a day but all turned out ok.  As Tim has said before, as long as nobody got hurt it's ok.  I was amazed and thankful that not even any equipment was bent or headstones knocked over or anything!  My "lucky" day!
  

No comments: