Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A Fun Lunch at School

Recently when at a tea at the Pomeroy Covenant Church, I sat next to the Manson Home Ec teacher (do they call it Home Ec now?  I don't think so.) and her mother.  They were saying that her home ec class plans a meal for the public, shops for it, cooks and serves the meal.  I asked how would we know when it was going to be, and they said it's in the Manson paper (which we don't get - Manson is the next town south of us) and/or they would let us know.  

They started last week, and I got to go.  They take the first 24 who make reservations two days in advance.  They did a great job.  The food was presented very nicely, it all tasted very good and they served it professionally.  They charge $8.50 per person and do this every week for six weeks.   Any leftover money they may have goes for a pizza party. 

We got to see their classroom too.  It brought back memories of my Home Ec class with the four or so little kitchens next to each other.  I sure remember my friend Cindy Moffitt and I having to demonstrate making something, and we did the melt-in-your-mouth Cream Wafers (2 flaky cookies with butter cream icing in the middle). 

The menu for last week's meal was Pickle Wrap Dip with Crackers, Chicken Berry Lettuce Salad, Broccoli Cheese Soup in a Bread Bowl, and Layered Brownie Trifle.  I have the menus for each week and sure hope I can go again before they're over.
pickle wrap dip with crackers

chicken berry lettuce salad with honey mustard dressing

broccoli cheese soup - I don't know how they did that carrot curl!

very yummy brownie trifle with strawberry & choc. star garnish
 
  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the floodgate of memories you just opened with this entry. Mrs. Heaton (I believe we referred to her as "Mama Heaton") would be very proud of your culinary skills. I'm still trying to perfect mine. However, those Home-Ec and 4-H demonstrations honed my public-speaking skills. I'm sure they increased your skill and confidence as well. It looks like a delicious day. Thank you for the trip down memory lane. Now, I need to get back to the kitchen!

Cindy said...

Cindy I wish I would've taken a picture of their classroom! Thanks for the nice comment.