Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Record Heat Yesterday!

We just had 5 1/2" of snow on May Day and yesterday it was a record 104!!  Strange, strange weather.

We are going gung ho planting corn.  Just have about 400 more acres to go.  The heat yesterday caused my tractor to get hot which meant going in a lower gear which means it's slower so takes longer to do a field and, I had to stop every round or so for a couple minutes to let it cool down.  Normally, tractors are done for the spring before it gets hot and in the fall it's usually never that hot either.  I think our county was in a fire warning due to the heat but with all the rain we've had recently and the tilled ground, the risk shouldn't have been that bad.  It was windy too though so if a fire had started in the wrong place it wouldn't be good.

My nice boss let me off in time to go to my P.E.O. meeting last night.  :)  Unfortunately, this evening we have to go to the funeral home again.  A fellow farmer from our town had a heart attack.  He was only 57.  This is the third person we know well that was 57 and died since Christmas time. 
 
Pretty pond I worked around the other day.


Bill filling the planter with seed.


 

No comments: