Sunday, February 10, 2013

Biscuits Success

I've never made good homemade biscuits and after watching a couple of seasoned biscuit makers make them who gave me some tips, I've just always wanted to be able to make them right.  Recently I watched a Trisha Yearwood show on Food Network where she made her Daddy's Biscuits.  Her show is on right after Pioneer Woman on Sat. mornings.  I really like both shows.  That got me in the mood to try them again so I picked up an 8 oz. container of buttermilk at the store and printed Trisha's recipe.  

Bill's family tells the story of some biscuits that his mom made once that were really hard.  They gave a couple to the dog who tried to bite into one and proceeded to go drop it in his water bowl to try to soften it up!  Too funny!

Today was the day to try again so I would get the buttermilk used before it expired. How many times have you bought something special like that and didn't get the recipe made before it expired?  Hate that.   My biscuits actually turned out pretty good except I think they needed a little more salt.  Or, we're just used to the canned ones I'm afraid.  Kind of like so many people now that only want "box" macaroni and cheese instead of homemade, canned frosting and spaghetti sauce from a jar to name a few. 

The key seems to be to only gently knead the dough 3-4 times and then pat it out, leaving it pretty thick before cutting them out.
Good height and color

fluffy
We had a rain/sleet mix during the night and have some puddles standing.  Gloomy day.  Oh well, we need to finish our taxes anyway.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've had several batches of bad biscuits myself. Forgot the baking powder once...hockey pucks when they came out. The big trick is to keep everything cold and don't overwork the dough.

-Jim