Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Nice Surprise

Today we have sunny, blue skies and there are only a few small patches of snow so thought I'd change the blog header to this picture. We've had 2 long trains go by our house earlier going west and just now these 2 engines headed east.

Yesterday morning Bill decided it would be a good day to head north to Mankato, Minn. to Scheel's for some hunting supplies he needed. I was excited to ride along because his mom and sister go shopping in Mankato a lot so I've always wondered what stores are there.

As we pulled out of the garage I noticed that we had hoar frost - one of my favorite things in winter! So I jumped out and took some pictures.

Hoar frost -
deposit of needle-like ice crystals formed on the ground by direct condensation at temperatures below freezing point. Also called white frost.

It made the drive to Mankato nicer with seeing all the white fences and trees along the way.

Mankato is 2 hours and 45 min. from our house. I'll post a few pictures taken there on my next post.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hunting supplies? What did he buy me? :)

-Jim

Marie said...

I remember the first time I heard my mom say that word when she described the frost. I cracked up and asked her to say it again. I know it is spelled differently. It just suprised me. I still smile when I think about it. It is anthother beautiful aspect of nature.