Saturday, January 21, 2012

White Chicken Chili

We always have our bigger meal at lunch time and then a sandwich at night. I'm not usually very hungry at night and soup sounds good to me in the winter. Bill is not much of a soup eater though. I've always wanted to make some White Chicken Chili so finally did last night. I really liked it for something different. Here's the recipe:

WHITE CHICKEN CHILI

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 med. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. olive oil
2 - 15 1/2 oz. cans Great Northern beans, rinsed & drained
1 - 14 1/2 oz. can chicken broth
1 - 4 oz. can diced green chilies
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3/4 c. light sour cream

1. In a large saucepan, saute chicken, onion & garlic in oil until chicken is no longer pink.

2. Add beans, chilies, seasonings and broth.

3. Bring to a boil.

4. Reduce heat and simmer (uncovered) for 30 min.

5. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.

6. Serve immediately.

I liked that this made a small batch (about 5 servings). The original recipe also called for 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper and a second can of green chilies so if you like more heat, you could add those. Next time I'll probably cook the chicken and shred it instead of doing the chunks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds interesting, I should try it.

-Jim

Marie said...

We love white chili. My recipe calls for a jar of salsa and a block of that yellow and white cheese (sorry...the name escapes me at the moment). We use the sour cream on top as garnish and serve with corn bread. Yummy...oh and lots of garlic too.

I love the blog photo too. Jeff loves trains. We are devoting one wall to tran pictures and miniature train cars. I will have to send you a picture when we get it completed.

Cindy said...

Yeah, I like it better than regular chili but Bill says he likes the usual better. I made cornbread muffins to go with ours. Bill likes honey on his cornbread, and it is good - I'd just never heard of that.