Friday, January 29, 2010

Des Moines


We had a really nice day and night in Des Moines yesterday. Or I should say * I * had a nice day in Des Moines - Bill had an ethics class for his insurance license from 1-4:00. He has to do this class every 3 years and has been to it before - says it's BORING.

While he was in class, I went to Kohl's and Walmart and a really nice grocery, Dahl's. Dahl's has anything you could want from fresh ginger to walnut oil. I just enjoyed looking there. Now that I have s
omeone to cook for, it's more fun. While driving around, I saw the capitol building - beautiful with its gold dome and copper covered domes at each corner of the building. The corner domes are decorated with vertical lines of gold. Wish I could've gotten a picture but here's a link to see one (scroll down to Iowa).

Des Moines has a new Bass Pro Shop so we checked it out after Bill's class. Most of you have probably been to one but if you haven't, you need to just to see one. With the name including "bass", you'd think it might be all about fishing but they sell boats, camping gear, guns and ammunition, clothing and more. This one has a bowling alley in their restaurant, fudge shop and huge aquarium with huge fish!


Then we headed to Ankeny where our hotel was. We ate at Outback, always a treat. This is the closest one to us which is about 2 hours away. This morning we had breakfast and headed home.

3 comments:

Marie said...

We went to the Bass Pro Shop in Destin, Florida this past December. It was a fun place and lots to keep Allynn's attention with all the stuffed animals and big fish.

Lori said...

Robert and I stopped in Merrilville for the night on the way to New Buffalo last week. When we got on the road in the am I spotted the Bass Pro Shop there. Since I was going to be doing sea glass hunting, I thought it would be nice if Robert got to do something he liked, so I talked him into going. I think I liked it more than he did! It was fun, and I had no idea they had clothes. I bought a few and had a great time looking at everything. I love your blog; didn't know you had one till today.
It's great to see how much fun you're having!

Cindy said...

Bass Pro Shops are interesting! Loved your sparkly beach picture too and always like to see your vacation pics. Lori, are you feeling better?? I know a guy that was in the hospital with West Nile something like 3 weeks and even in a coma for a while. You must've caught it at the right time or they have better medicine now.