Monday, January 6, 2014

January 2014

Like much of the country, we have record cold here in NW Iowa.  Unlike much of the country, we just have a little skiff of snow on the ground.  Today it's been very sunny but the temperature at 4:30 is -5, -27 wind chill and the wind is about 15 mph out of the west.

Last night most of us around here, including all of town, lost power for 2 1/2 3 hours at about 7:00 6:15 (corrections by Bill).  We hear that people's houses got down to around 50 degrees by the time the power came back on with the wind chill being so bad.

A few years ago, we bought a generator that will run our furnace, refrigerator, lights and more.  It was the best thing we ever did because after that, our power never went out!  Until last night.  We waited about 45 min. to see if the power would come back on quick like it does most of the time but it didn't, so Bill went out to fire up the generator.  We had our propane stove on in our living room the whole time, and it really warmed the place up.  It will run without power.  I've had it on this afternoon too.  While we waited for the power to come back on, Bill suggested we take down our Christmas tree which was a good idea.  It was down and all put away in no time. 

We are getting back to walking on the treadmill and trying to eat a little better.  Thought you all might enjoy this like I did.

What January Is For

Twas the month after Christmas, and all through the house,
nothing would fit me, not even a blouse.
The cookies I’d nibbled, the fudge I did taste,
all the holiday parties had gone to my waist.
When I got on the scales there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store (less a walk than a lumber).
I remembered the marvelous meals I’d prepared,
the gravies and sauces and beef nicely rare.
The pies and the cakes, the bread and the cheese,
and the way I never said, "No thank you please."
As I dressed myself in my husband’s old shirt,
and prepared once again to do battle with dirt--
I said to myself, as I only can
"You can’t spend the winter disguised as a man!"
So away with the last of the sour cream dip,
get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip.
Every last bit of food that I like must be banished,
‘till all the additional ounces have vanished.
I won’t have a cookie, not even a lick,
I’ll want only to chew on a long celery stick.
I won’t have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie,
I’ll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.
I’m hungry, I’m lonesome, and life is a bore ---
But isn’t that what January is for?
Unable to giggle, no longer a riot ...
Happy New Year to all and to all a good diet!

-- Anonymous



 

No comments: