Saturday, December 22, 2012

Much Sadness

Last night I got to go caroling with about 25+ people of all ages, stopping at 13 homes here in our town.  I love to sing (with others) so this was so fun.  I miss the days of being in the Central Christian Church, Carmel's choir.  We met at the farm home of one of our vets in town.  They had a fire going in their fireplace which smelled so good outside along with a fire in the chiminea on their deck.  Inside there was the scent of fresh pine from their real Christmas tree and other freshly cut greenery.  Everyone pitched in soups and other goodies.  We had about five different soups to warm us up when we got back from caroling - clam chowder, chicken alfredo, white chicken chili and tortilla that I can remember.  One of the families organizing this is very musical (several grown kids) so it was great to sing with them and when we got back, one of them sat down at the piano for more singing with the younger kids gathered around!  What a nice, Christmas evening with wonderful people!  I'm hoping we do this every year!  I sure didn't get very good pictures of caroling.  It was cold so had gloves on and with such a big group we were spread out.  Here we were in the home of a P.E.O. member who is about 95 I think.  She's the grandmother of several of the girls that organized the caroling. 

Velma, a special lady

More singing around the piano

Old fashioned real Christmas tree and pretty table.
3 of the 5 or 6 crock pots of soup.

When I got home though, Bill had some very sad news.  Three of our friends had been in a car accident on icy roads near Ft. Dodge where they had gone to Christmas shop.  Two of them did not survive.  Deb was the owner of our really nice flower/gift shop in Pocahontas and a P.E.O. member with me, and we all went to the same church.  Her beautiful daughter is okay but her fiance did not survive either.  They had dated several years and were to be married in June - such a cute couple.  Joe was a huge part of his family's farming operation and seed business (we do a lot of business with them).  Joe helped me - and had patience - when I took the seed tender to their place to get seed - when I couldn't back it up, he did it for me.  When I asked him how late they would be there one night we were trying to get a field done, he told me he would be there whenever I came back.  When I went back later that night for more seed and I didn't see anybody, he came around the corner and smiled and said "I told you I'd be here!"  He has a twin sister.  This family had another family member pass away earlier this year too.  So many in this area are very sad for the families, and we will all miss these two very much.     

1 comment:

Sarah M. said...

Next year I hope to be well enough that we can join in the fun! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. It looks like everyone had an awesome time.